Canada Day takes place July 1… Whether you are enjoying a swanky rooftop party, joining the crowds at the fireworks, or just relaxing at home, make sure you celebrate our nation’s birthday in style! Below are some festive ideas from the shops and services at Central City to make this occasion extra special.
Home & Table Decor
Hosting Canada Day festivities at your home? Decorate your place with red throws, pillows, tablecloths and placemats (that could be reused for other holidays) from Bed Bath & Beyond. Add Great North inspired pieces like wooden paddles, birch finish candles, lodge-look frames, and other rustic pieces from Winners.
Looking for other inexpensive Canada Day décor options? Add matching red or maple leaf design flags, banners, paper lanterns, or balloons from A Buck or Two or a Dollarama. Also, find table décor like red and white striped straws, plastic utensils, napkins, and decorated drinkware at these stores.
Party Food & Drink
- Entrees could include west coast salmon, east coast lobster, and/or steak from the prairies. For more casual fare, try burgers or hot dogs topped with Canadian bacon.
- Try northern inspired sides like baked beans, potatoes, and fresh green salad.
- Add a sweet apple or blackberry pie topped with vanilla ice cream drizzled with maple syrup for dessert. Butter tarts and Nanaimo bars are also yummy treats that originated in Canada! Red and white iced red-velvet cupcakes are another great option.
- Want to make the event extra special? Host a candy table featuring Canadian candy like Bridge Mixture, Coffee Crisp, Mr. Big, Caramilk, Crunchie, Crispy Crunch, Aero bars, or Glosette pieces; provide small red bags for the guests to fill with their treats.
What to serve for drinks at your Canada Day fête? Here’s a few suggestions:
- Try Central City Brewing’s locally produced craft beers including the award-winning Red Racer beer as well as ciders and brown and white spirits from the brewery.
- Serve Caesar cocktails (invented in Canada) made from vodka, clamato juice, Worcestershire sauce, and Tabasco sauce, served in a salt-rimmed glass with a stalk of celery.
- Ginger ale is a great Canadian pick for non-alcoholic beverages.
- End the festivities with a selection of coffee and tea from Canadian’s much-loved Tim Hortons.
Gear & Accessories
Dress up for the big day with Canada Day gear and sport your Canadian pride! Find a large assortment of fun red and white maple leaf emblazoned tees, hoodies, shorts, and pants at Bluenotes, Urban Planet, and Warehouse One at Central City. Urban Kids also has a super-cute selection of Canada Day gear for the little ones in your family! Looking for accessories? Ardene and Walmart have a great collection of Canadian themed caps, flip flops, headbands, and pins to add festive touches to your outfit.
Want more ideas? Visit Central City’s Pinterest page. Happy Canada Day! Eh!